In case you were wondering, Exaile, a music player that exists since 2006, is not dead yet. A new Exaile version - 3.4.0 "We're not dead yet" -, was released today and is, according to its developers, the best release of Exaile yet.
The release announcement mentions that many users have asked if the project is dead because there aren't frequent releases and the answer to that is that Exaile is "a mature, stable audio player, and does much of what we want it to do, and does it well" and "the current development team uses Exaile on a regular basis, and will continue to add improvements and fix bugs as needed".
For those not familiar with Exaile, this is a music player designed with Amarok 1.4 (probably the best Linux music player) in mind, but for GTK+, which comes with many of KDE's Amarok 1.4 features, along with some extras. The application includes a numerous number of plugins, including: cover art search (Last.fm, Amazon), iPod Support, Dynamic Playlists, Equalizer, Karaoke, ReplayGain, Desktop Cover, Mini Mode, Moodbar, Multimedia Keys, LyricsMania, Icecast Radio, Podcasts, AudioScrobbler, NotifyOSD, Streamripper, Group Tagger, Alarm Clock, Inhibit Suspend and more.
Changes in Exaile 3.4.0:
- audio output device can now be switched while playing songs;
- improved unicode support;
- an option has been added to disallow playback while another song is playing;
- UDisks/UDisks2 support;
- covers: cover manager improvements, saving to disk;
- playlists can be shown in multiple panes;
- the left tab panels are now closable;
- BPM counter plugin has better UI integration;
- enhanced smart playlists: create playlists based on other playlists and support for filtering over 20 different tag types;
- a simpler plugin API is available (but the old one still works!);
- plugin manager doesn't show users potentially broken plugins anymore;
- new plugins: Icecast Radio, lyricsmania, mono output, playlist analyzer, Soma.FM;
- fixes/improvements for various plugins.
Also, with this release, Exaile officially supports Mac OSX.
Unfortunately, a couple of plugins were removed from Exaile 3.4.0 because they were broken: Lyricsfly and ShoutCast.
It's also important to mention that the Exaile developers announced that the application development has moved to GitHub.
Install Exaile 3.4.0 in Ubuntu
The latest Exaile 3.4.0 is available in the main WebUpd8 PPA (for Ubuntu / Linux Mint and derivatives) - add the PPA and install it using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install exaile exaile-plugin-contextinfo exaile-plugin-ipod exaile-plugin-moodbar exfalso
(the last command above installs Exaile along with some Exaile plugins which are not installed by default)
For other Linux distributions, Windows and Mac OS X, download Exaile from GitHub.
If you encounter bugs, report them @ GitHub!
via Web Upd8 - Ubuntu / Linux blog http://ift.tt/1pDRhCu